Thursday, July 3, 2008

Reliance

Sometimes our resources are greater than others.

I think all would agree that time, energy, and money are resources that make our lives much more comfortable. When these resources are plentiful, our tendency is to rely less on God and more on our own strength. We also tend to boast in our own abilities when these resources are up. We are comfortable in our holding pattern.

But, what happens when these resources decrease? What happens when our time is little and our responsibility is much? What happens when our energy is low and the demand on our body is much? What happens when the bank account is almost to zero, we need diapers for two kids and payday is a week away?

Is it only at these times when we rely on God? Is it only at these times when we truly lean on Him? Are we at cruising altitude when everything is in balance only to lean on Him when things get out of whack?

I know there are times in my life when my resources are plenty. I also know there are times when my resources are few. I want to rely heavily no matter the weight of my resources. My own strength is NEVER great enough!

"Remain in me and I will remain in you. No branch can bear fruit by itself; it must remain in the vine. Neither can you bear fruit unless you remain in me. I am the vine; you are the branches. If a man remains in me and I in him, he will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing." John 15:4-5

No comments: