Wednesday, April 30, 2008

That's Not Fair

As a mom, I hear the phrase, "that's not fair," quite a bit. I expect it from my children. They are, in fact, children. A six year old, a three year old and a 16 month old can be excused for uttering this phrase on a regular basis.

It is when that phrase comes out of my mouth that I start to get a little concerned...(Believe me, it comes out of my mouth more than I would like to admit!)

I love the wisdom that God gave Solomon on this subject though!

The book of Ecclesiastes is where I have been hanging my hat lately. There are some jewels in there. One such jewel that hit me this morning was in Ecclesiastes 8. This passage is so relevant!

The Wicked and the Righteous

9 I have thought deeply about all that goes on here under the sun, where people have the power to hurt each other. 10 I have seen wicked people buried with honor. Yet they were the very ones who frequented the Temple and are now praised[a] in the same city where they committed their crimes! This, too, is meaningless. 11 When a crime is not punished quickly, people feel it is safe to do wrong. 12 But even though a person sins a hundred times and still lives a long time, I know that those who fear God will be better off. 13 The wicked will not prosper, for they do not fear God. Their days will never grow long like the evening shadows.

14 And this is not all that is meaningless in our world. In this life, good people are often treated as though they were wicked, and wicked people are often treated as though they were good. This is so meaningless!

15 So I recommend having fun, because there is nothing better for people in this world than to eat, drink, and enjoy life. That way they will experience some happiness along with all the hard work God gives them under the sun.

All you have to do is look in the newspaper to see this passage happening everyday. Bad things are happening to good people while bad people seem to prosper all around us.

But I love what Solomon says here. Notice it, he says this is meaningless. It is meaningless. I think he is saying to stop worrying about all this, and just enjoy what God has given you. Stop worrying about whether or not He is punishing others or not. God is just! Live your life, do what you should. Enjoy your family! Love what you do. And, whatever, you do, do it all with gusto!

We are all really bad people if you think about it. None of us really deserve the good things that happen to us. None of us deserves the grace that has been extended to us. We are all just bad people who have been redeemed. New life is a gift that has been given all bad people who ask for it!

Anyway, just a thought!

Grace and peace from one redeemed bad girl who has decided that life is more than fair!

No comments: